A Model for Accessible LMS Discussion Boards
We have been testing and evaluating major learning management systems for several years, and while we continue to document significant improvement in many LMS components, we have noted little or no noticeable progress in the accessibility of the discussion board/forum, a tool which remains one of the most complicated and difficult for learners with disabilities to use effectively. In response, we decided to create a rough prototype of a more accessible discussion forum, one that draws on our experience and knowledge as accessibility and instructional technology/design specialists, and uses our collective understanding of how various LMS have approached this component.
Our discussion board model is an outgrowth of our long-range comparative accessibility testing and ongoing evaluation of four major learning management systems—Blackboard, Desire2Learn, Moodle, and SAKAI. Our suggested design attempts to provide solutions for many of the perennial, cumbersome accessibility/usability issues that affect LMS discussion forums, such as organizing and grouping forums, topics, threads, and messages so that all users, including assistive technology users, can easily identify a desired object/location, navigate to it, and interact effectively with it. Here are some of the key questions we considered:
- What are the best ways to order lists of discussion topics?
- What level of detail should be evident when the user first encounters a discussion board?
- How should greater detail and specificity be progressively revealed as the user drills down to deeper threads?
- What is an optimal amount of information for any given message and how does that message appear in the context of other messages so that the content and place within the overall discussion board or thread are clearly evident?
- What HTML structures and what scripted interactivity provide a strong user experience without getting in the way of that experience?
We are not promising a drop-in solution, and we cannot claim to provide a perfect implementation. Instead, our presentation first examines how typical LMS discussion boards tend to work from an accessibility perspective. From that vantage point, we then offer design patterns and a rough prototype implementation for others to consider as a more accessible potential alternative. Our hope is that LMS vendors will borrow some of our ideas to improve their own systems’ discussion boards/forums.
I would like to thank and acknowledge the hard work of all my colleagues who helped me with this project; without their help I wouldn't have been able to design and deliver this new model for discussion board. An especial thank to Michael McKelvey who worked on the code until the last minutes of our presentation at CSUN Conference 2013.
- Hadi Rangin, IT Accessibility & Collaboration coordinator, University of Illinois
- Michael McKelvey, Coordinator of Engagement Technology & New Media, University of Illinois
- Marc Thompson, Instructional Designer, University of Illinois
- Dan Hahn, ELearning Professional, University of Illinois
- Ken Petri, Program Director, The Ohio State University
Highlights of the Suggested Model
Note: This design is optimized for Firefox and Chrome. We have not worked on cross-browser compatibility yet.
Use NVDA with Firefox to test for screen reader accessibility; do not use Jaws.
- Full ARIA landmarks to provide semantic structure
- Breadcrumbs [navigation landmark]
- Forum Options [navigation landmark]
- Search [search landmark]
- Forum [navigation landmark]
- Message [region landmark]
- ARIA menu for intuitive keyboard navigation in the menu
- Display, Filter, and Manage menu
- Enter or space to open the menu
- Up and down arrow to scroll through the menu
- Right arrow to open a sub-menu and left arrow to close a sub-menu
- Enter to select an item in the menu
- Escape to cancel interaction with the menu
- Tab key to move from one top menu to another top menu
- Select box for selecting the desired forum
- Up and Down arrow to scroll through the menu
- Enter to select the desired Forum
- Selecting a forum updates the Thread treeview
- NOTE: select list keydown & change events must be modified so simply scrolling through menu does not update thread treeview.
- ARIA tree view to browse and select desired thread
- Up and Down arrow to go through the threads/posts
- Right arrow to open a thread
- Left arrow to close a thread
- Enter selects the desired thread/message and moves the focus to the beginning of the thread conversation shown in the message landmark
- HTML headings to structure thread depth
- Heading levels 2-6 are used structure threads/messages
- Each post has an ARIA action menu for applicable functions.
- A Message Display Mode select box to filter threads/posts shown.
- Keyboard shortcuts
- Shortcut key 1 to move to the Forum select box
- Shortcut key 2 to move the focus to the threads treeview
- F6 key to switch focus between landmark regions (not implemented)
412 comments:«Oldest ‹Older 401 – 412 of 412
Sun, sand and surf aren’t all you can enjoy in Goa. If you’re a foodie, you’ll gorge on Seafood in Goa. In fact, you’ll enjoy the experience of eating the famed local Fish Thali in Calangute. Get an assortment of fish made in typical Goan style and enjoy the flavors. The seafood Junction menu is also a great dining experience.
The best rental homes in Goa are villas in South Goa. These North Goa villas and private pool villa in Goa have three bedrooms and carved furniture all over the place. They have outstanding amenities. A few minutes' walk to the beach, a communal pool, and a garden make for a memorable vacation. For your upcoming vacation, rent one of these luxury villas in Goa.
Incredible Article. Looking extraordinary work dear, I truly appreciated to you on this quality work. I would like agree that gratitude for this post. https://www.bookmarkingtraffic.win/article-source-26
I'm truly delighted to find this page : I need to thank you for the time I spent on this particularly uncommon examining !! I truly preferred each part and also bookmarked you for new data on your site. https://ameblo.jp/lorenzozzwg228/entry-12764397411.html
This article is quite interesting and I am looking forward to reading more of your posts. Thanks for sharing this article with us.
BLB1101 Australian Legal System In Context Assignment 3
Thanks for this wonderful blog.check what is kwasu cut off mark
Thanks for sharing this post.
Need high-quality case study help service online at a nominal price? Casestudyhelp.net provides you with a case study solution by a professional expert. You can avail of our free sample in more than 100 subjects. You can contact us anytime through our 24/7 live chat facility. We deliver you authentic content online with 100% plagiarism free work. Feel free with us.
Affordable Assignment Help UK
Thank you for sharing this excellent article
Seek Professional Affordable Assignment Help UK from expert writers. If you need help with your assignments. We are providing assignment help and writing services. Casestudyhelp.com delivers 100% quality work with free plagiarism content. Feel free to connect with us.
Assignment Help UK
This is a Wonderful Post, Thanks
Assignment Task Company is focused on keeping the prices as low as possible while maintaining the highest quality standards of Assignment Help UK and other Countries for Students. The Best Academic Experts we hire qualified writers, researchers and editors to ensure that each paper is plagiarism-free and delivered on time.
Assignment Help UAE
Thank you for share this information
Solve All Your Academic Troubles with Assignment Help UAE. Our services are incredibly affordable. We offer competent assignment writing services to students in all disciplines, from Undergraduate to PhD assignments. We have a team of top-notch assignment writers with capabilities and experience in assignment writing. Case Study Help is 24/7 hours available on the internet with live chat support.
UK Assignment Writing Help
Thanks for share this idea
Grab Top-Notch UK Assignment Writing Help from the adroit Writers of Assignment Task.
Now, get outstanding assignments done by our brilliant writers. Assignment Task UK Assignment Writing Platform with more than 500 qualified and experienced writers.
Transportation Employees are available at a cheap cost, but not all the agencies are successful at fulfilling the needs of every employee. If you are also the one who is facing various types of issues then switch to the services offered by Sushma Travels.
Post a Comment